Why I’m Doing This
With all the #WomensMarch’s going on in a bunch of different cities today, I wanted to take a moment and shine a spotlight on so many of the women in the music industry who probably and criminally overlook or underrated, either because of their gender, the fact that many of these artists are in independent groups, or both.
So I will be publishing a series of short posts today with simple lists: these artists’ names, their basic band role and/or instrument(s), the stage moniker, and where they come from. Each list will have twenty-five (25) entries apiece. Take a moment to appreciate these women; the music industry benefits in huge ways from their talent and involvement.
Music is about expression and inclusivity — let’s keep it that way.
- Britta Raci (Vocals/Guitar) — It’s Butter — Los Angeles, California, USA
- Chelsea Shag (Vocals/Guitar) — Solo — Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Georgina Daniels (Vocals/Various) — I Talk to Strangers — London, England, UK
- Maja Shining (Vocals) — Forever Still — Copenhagen, Denmark
- Sami Michelsen (Vocals) — Alchemy — Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Pearl Turner (Vocals/Guitar) — Skyline — Austin, Texas, USA
- Amanda Hamers (Bass/Vocals) — Sunshine & Bullets — Tampa, Florida, USA
- Donata Sounds (Vocals) — Cherry White — London, England, UK
- Margarita Jane (Vocals) — Heel — London, England, UK
- Edvina Fahlqvist (Bass/Vocals) — Jeeps — London, England, UK
- Melissa Menago (Vocals/Guitar) — June Divided — Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Rachel Mayer (Vocals) — Hour 24 — Temperance, Michigan, USA
- Lee Moretti (Vocals/Guitar/Piano) — The Furies — Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Sara Elizabeth (Vocals) — Bloody Diamonds — Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Freya Wilcox (Vocals/Guitar) — Freya Wilcox & The Howl — Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Christina Marie (Vocals) — A Truth Divides — Fall River, Massachusetts, USA
- Rebecca Keogh (Vocals) — She Speaks — Kildare, Ireland
- Tory Anne Daines (Vocals/Violin/Keyboards) — Fair Panic — Wayne, New Jersey, USA
- Antoinette Cooper (Vocals) — Bouquet of Dead Crows — London, England, UK
- Lauren Babic (Vocals) — Red Handed Denial — Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Doireann Waters (Vocals/Guitar) — Suan — Athy, Ireland
- Hannah Wicklund (Vocals/Guitar) — The Steppin Stones — Nashville, Tennessee, USA
- Nikki Layne (Vocals) — Lucid Fly — Los Angeles, California, USA
- Zoë Kissel (Vocals/Guitar) — Sidewatcher — Detroit, Michigan, USA
- Jaycee Clark (Vocals) — A Light Divided — Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
Find me on Twitter @adammarx13 and let’s talk music, tech, and business!